In a February 2015 interview discussing the film's financial success, Megan Collison, president of worldwide distribution and marketing at Paramount, stated the possibility of a third film was "a good bet." In another interview, Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore remarked, "Hopefully, it won't take 10 years to make another film." Later in 2015, in a tweet by Viacom, it was revealed that Paramount Pictures would be developing sequels to existing franchises such as World War Z, Jack Reacher and a third SpongeBob Movie.
On August 3, 2015, in a tweet by Vincent Waller, it was confirmed that the sequel is in pre-production, and that Paul Tibbitt would be directing it. Waller later suggested the release date of the film "should be in 2018" but may "land in 2017." He also revealed that the crew working on the series would not necessarily be working on the movie. This enables the series to be produced in tandem with the movie. Ruben Hickman is helping out with preliminary developments of the movie, with the same group of producers being present - Cale Boyter, Mary Parent, and Craig Sost.
- ^ ‘SpongeBob’ Soaks Up $55 Million to Swamp ‘Jupiter Ascending,’ ‘Seventh Son’ at Box Office. TheWrap.com (February 8, 2015).
- ^ Box Office: 'SpongeBob' Capsizes 'Jupiter Ascending,' 'Seventh Son' With $56M. The Hollywood Reporter (February 8, 2015).
- ^ https://twitter.com/Viacom/status/593762894103375872
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/628219039081324544
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/629656529549918208
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/631607842567405568
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/631972276926197761
- ^ https://twitter.com/NickelodeonTV/status/642460888017031168
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/633289040721149952
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/664560052338974720
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/664553052167258112