|The Krusty Sponge|
|Previous Episode:||Slimy Dancing|
|Next Episode:||Sing a Song of Patrick|
"The Krusty Sponge" is an episode from Season 5
- Mr. Krabs
- Gene Scallop
- Billy (Teenager)
- Nat Peterson
- Judge Horace A. Whopper
- Other Bikini Bottomites
When an important food critic named Gene Scallop visits the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs tries to make sure that the Krusty Krab is alright so he gets good ratings. When Mr. Scallop reviews the Krusty Krab, he says that the service is terrible but SpongeBob's cooking is so good that they should "sponge out" the restaurant. Squidward ends up becoming a SpongeBob mascot and accidentally hits a boy desiring his autograph, due to the fact Squidward has trouble controlling his costume's arms. Mr. Krabs begs the boy to keep quiet and offers him $5, but the boy, angry his hero slapped him, refuses the payment. Worried it may happen again, he makes Squidward the cook and tells SpongeBob to drive the Fun-train, a Sponge-themed amusement ride that goes around the restaurant
After that, Mr. Krabs shows Squidward the Krusty Sponge things in the restaurant like the sauces and the spongy ice cubes. Eventually, SpongeBob, exhausted from constantly riding the Fun-train, stops for a breather, but the customers demand he continue riding. SpongeBob, using his wits, gets a giant SpongeBob statue and puts in it in the driver seat of the train. Squidward is then ordered by Mr. Krabs to use "Spongy Patties" (which are really rotten patties). The spongy patties cause all the customers to grow ill and act like zombies. SpongeBob, escaping the train mob, sees the zombies and knocks on Mr. Krabs' office door but Mr. Krabs refused to let SpongeBob in because he is busy dating his wads of cash. Mr. Krabs is arrested for poisoning the entire resturant, including Gene Scallop. The judge says if he gats one final ride on the Fun-train before they convert the Krusty Sponge to the original. He gets his wish, and is given one ride around the Krab once more, driven by an annoyed Squidward.
- The appearance and name of Gene Scallop are taken from real-life food critic Gene Shalit, who happens to voice him.
- The song that is played on the SpongeBob train is the SpongeBob theme song.
- When a little boy goes up to Squidward wearing the SpongeBob costume, Mr. Krabs called him a little girl.
- The giant SpongeBob that is holding a Krabby Patty is a spoof on the Big Boy restaurants.
- Mr. Krabs has a sign that says "As Seen on TV" next to Squidward dressed as SpongeBob, a possible reference to the episode of the same name.
- How did Gene get on the news after 3 seconds when he left the Krusty Krab? And how can he say he went to the dry cleaners? He couldn't have gone there to the news that fast.
- When Gene says that the Krusty Krab smells like the rear end of a goat, two of the fish "smells" the air, but it was revealed in No Nose Knows Spongebob says that lots of fish do not have noses, many looking like the two that "smelled" the air.
- When Spongebob bangs of Mr.Krabs' door, begging to get in, he breaks down the door, where in some other episodes (such as MuscleBob BuffPants), Spongebob cannot even lift a cup of water, or a stuffed animal.
- When Mr. Krabs says "Get back to work, SpongeBob! I'll be in me SpongeBob if you SpongeBob me." he meant "Get back to work, Squidward. I'll be in me office if you need me."
- When Spongebob stops driving the train, a girl fish yells " That's the worst Spongebob costume I've ever seen!" at Spongebob, but she says it in a man voice!
- This episode is a possible reference to what Nickelodeon is doing with Spongebob (tons of merchandice, marathons very often, etc.).
- This episode use to air with Squid Wood, but now it airs with Sing a Song of Patrick.