|Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost|
|Previous Episode:||MuscleBob BuffPants|
|Next Episode:||The Chaperone|
"Squidward, the Unfriendly Ghost" is an episode from Season 1.
- Squidward alter ego: Squidward's Ghost
- Mr. Krabs
- Flying Dutchman (Only mentioned)
- Squidward's House
- Outside SpongeBob's Neighborhood
Squidward is proud of having just finished his wax sculpture of himself and declares he has "conquered all artistic medium" (referencing a large diversity of art styles and reproductions of famous pieces which all have Squidward for subject). While he goes to take a bath, SpongeBob and Patrick throw a shell with which they are playing Frisbee into Squidward's house, and it hits the sculpture. SpongeBob and Patrick think they've injured Squidward, and after several humorous attempts to "resuscitate" him, they believe that Squidward is dead. Squidward, fresh from his pampered bath, dramatically emerges in a rush of steam from the warm bathroom, wearing talcum powder and a white bathrobe and towel. SpongeBob and Patrick believe they are seeing Squidward's ghost and, hoping to avoid any haunting or punishments, place themselves as Squidward's willing servants. Squidward gleefully takes advantage of the situation, having them serve and pamper him, do chores, and simply entertain him. Eventually, SpongeBob and Patrick, while entering a "messy" room, come across a comic book inspired by the story of the Flying Dutchman (who haunted the seas because his body was used as a window display in a clothing store), and decide that since Squidward is a vengeful spirit, he needs to be put to rest. Thus, SpongeBob and Patrick try to give him a proper burial as well as a funeral. Squidward eventually admits his charade, but SpongeBob and Patrick believe that Squidward is simply in denial about his death. SpongeBob blows a giant bubble that engulfs Squidward and sends him floating up to 'the great beyond', right into a huge swarm of seagulls while Squidward is in a fetal position.
- The episode's name is a parody of Casper the Friendly Ghost.
- This is the only episode where Squidward's house is depicted with an elevator in it, which would allude to Squidward having a high income or simply the house having a convenient feature.
- When Squidward asks, "What are you invertebrates doing?" SpongeBob and Patrick seem to make up a nonsensical game having to do with (presumably among other things) chess boards, bubbles, and rocks. SpongeBob and Patrick say, "We don't know." This may be a reference to Calvinball, a game played in the defunct comic strip Calvin and Hobbes.
- When Squidward asks, "What are you invertebrates doing?" to SpongeBob and Patrick, it seems that Squidward is insulting them about not having a backbone. However, Squidward is a cephalopod, making him an invertebrate as well.
- When Squidward is on the royal bed, you can see that Patrick's house is missing.
- When SpongeBob says "Oh, look, the mourners have arrived." Original closed captioning said "Look, the mourners."
- SpongeBob has lighter holes on his front face, but an extremely trivially darker-colored holes on the sides of his head.