|Previous Episode:||Sandy's Rocket|
|Next Episode:||Nature Pants|
"Squeaky Boots" is an episode from Season 1.
- Mr. Krabs
- Pearl (debut)
- Pearl's friends
- Customers at Krusty Krab
- Jim (mentioned)
For Pearl's birthday, Mr. Krabs gives her a pair of fishing boots that only cost $2. After Pearl does not accept the gift, Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that the boots are special, and only worn by the best official fry cooks in the world. SpongeBob, excited, exchanges his paycheck for them, and starts wearing them all day and night. The squeak annoys Squidward so much that he leaves on vacation and Mr. Krabs has to fill in for him. After a sleepless night because of a squeaking window, Mr. Krabs cannot stand the squeak of SpongeBob's boots anymore. At his wit's end, he steals the boots and buries them underneath the Krusty Krab. However, he feels guilty and starts going into a strange state of guilt and a weird curse of the boots, believing that he hears nothing but the constant squeaking of the boots (every word he sees in his restaurant is even replaced by the word "squeak"). He unburied the boots, shrinks them and eats them in a bout of insanity. He thinks he finally has peace and quiet and goes on vacation with Pearl, until he hiccups, making the boots (inside his body) squeak.
- During a Nickelodeon movie promotion in 1999, a set of scratch and sniff stickers were released at specified fast-food restaurants to be used with certain Nicktoons. One of them was used when Mr. Krabs dropped the boots in the boiling water. Also, the symbol that signaled you to "sniff" at the bottom right part of the screen was accidentally filmed along with the episode, and not edited over until late 2002, almost 3 years after the scratch and sniff packs were put out of circulation.
- The customer, Tom, never actually said what the order was (according to the voice actor). But, judging by his lip movements, he could be saying "squeaky squeak".
- This is the second episode to feature computer-made sequences.
- If you listen for it, SpongeBob’s shoes usually squeak anyway.
- SpongeBob's original name (SpongeBoy) was used in this episode ("SpongeBoy me Bob!").
- SpongeBob's squeaky boots were said to be worn by the best fry cook; this could possibly be referring to Jim.
- This episode is a parody of the short-story "The Tell-tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe. The line, "It's the squeaking of the hideous boots!" his reminiscent of the last line of the story.