|Previous Episode:||Karate Choppers|
"Sleepy Time" is an episode from Season 1.
- Mr. Krabs
- Mrs. Puff
- Crowd at performance
- The King
- Moby Dollar
- Citizens of Bikini Bottom
SpongeBob has a strange dream. He dreams that he is in a hot rod and he got his driver's license. Mrs. Puff also appears in this dream and tears out SpongeBob's license, and right after he is somehow 'propelled' out of SpongeBob's dream cloud, he sees his real self. He realizes that he has no dream to go to, until he sees Gary's dream cloud. He jumps in, frightening Gary. He is in a vast library, and Gary appears to be humanoid and can speak English. SpongeBob goes out of Gary's dream cloud and into Patrick's. He is on a kiddie ride that costs 25 cents per ride. SpongeBob explains to him that in a dream, he can do whatever he wants. He demonstrates by turning into a skyscraper and making a million identical copies of himself. Patrick says he is already satisfied, and SpongeBob goes out of Patrick's dream cloud. Patrick then complains that he has run out of quarters. (This could be a hint towards Patrick's empty-mindedness.) Next, he goes to Squidward's dream cloud and sees what is going on. He is performing a clarinet solo in a theater, set in the 1700s because of the theme. He distracts the king and Squidward stops, and the king growls at him for not playing. After this happens several times, Squidward is so angry that he snaps his clarinet, but SpongeBob saves him by turning into a clarinet. It produces no sound, but SpongeBob just sings, and everybody applauds. SpongeBob goes to a different dream, this time Sandy's. They are skydiving, and they have to land on a painted target. SpongeBob asks if it is safe, and Sandy says "Yeah, as long as you have a parachute". SpongeBob says "I've got one!", then Sandy replies "Not a pair-of-shoes! A parachute!". Again, SpongeBob misinterprets the message, and holds up a bird cage. Sandy says "Not a parakeet, a para after she says this, she lands in clam manure truck. She says medic...". SpongeBob falls out of Sandy's dream and says to himself "Alright, that's it. No more messing with people's dreams." He goes to what he thinks is Mr. Krabs' dream, but actually is Pearl's dream. After realizing this, he immediately goes to Mr. Krabs' dream, where he's fishing money. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs manage to catch Moby Dollar, but it escapes and SpongeBob is shot out of Mr. Krabs' dream cloud and into Plankton's. Plankton, in his dream, is bigger than the buildings and has laser-eyes. SpongeBob pokes him with a pin and Plankton deflates, and wakes up. SpongeBob then goes back to his own dream cloud, where everyone's angry faces appear and start spinning around him. When he wakes up, everyone is in his house complaining that he's messed up their dreams, until Patrick comes up and asks "Does anyone have a quarter?"
- Moby Dollar is a parody of Moby dick.
- The name that Squidward had in his dream, Wolfgang Amadeus Tentacles, is a pun of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Gary says "Mind your wandering eye, you little poriferan" in his dream. The sponge is in the Phylum Porifera.
- In one scene, when Gary and SpongeBob are walking along the library, a book is shown close up. On the cover, the title says "Of Snails and Men", a reference to John Steinbeck's book, Of Mice and Men.
- When SpongeBob tells Gary, "Curiosity salted the snail," this is a reference to the classic line, "Curiosity killed the cat," as snails are portrayed as the cats of the sea.
- The episode Sleepy Time is perhaps most notable for revealing a large amount of information about SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs that was previously not known. The reason new information is revealed is because SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs" drivers license are first seen in this episode. The second time was in No Free Rides (Only SpongeBob's).
- In Sandy's dream, she says (before she falls) "You need a para-(splat!)medic." the captions say "para-*splat*made it."
- Mrs. Puff appears in and ruins SpongeBob's dream. However, SpongeBob does not make an appearance in her dream.
- Plankton slept in the Chum Bucket with no pajamas, but in SpongeBob's house, he appears in pajamas.
- When Sandy was in her tree dome, she is not wearing any hair curlers. In SpongeBob’s house, she does.
- The 2007 straight-to-DVD film Garfield Gets Real is similar to this episode.
- This is the first time both Sandy and SpongeBob are shown free-falling. The second time is in Pre-Hibernation Week.
- In a commentary for the DVD, Tom Kenny said that Gary looked like a Talosian (from Star Trek) in SpongeBob's dream.
- In the episode Squeaky Boots, Mr. Krabs eyes are brown. However, in this episode, his driver's license says they are green.
- Whale of a Birthday Easter Egg: In Pearl's dream, there are framed photos of what look like the members of Boys Who Cry.
- Old Man Jenkins makes a cameo appearance in Plankton's dream.
- SpongeBob went in the following dreams:
- When Sandy lands on the target, her bikini is pink.
- This and Suds (the episode that is attached to this one) both have Fred say "My leg!" in them. This is very abnormal, as he usually only can be heard in one of the attached episodes.
- The SpongeBob game Nighty Nightmare has a reference to this episode.
- Music from the title card of Skill Crane can be heard in Patrick's Dream.
- This is the first episode to air in 2000. The previous episode, Karate Choppers, aired in 1999.
- When Spongebob falls asleep, he takes his socks and shoes off. In other episodes, however, he is seen asleep with his socks and shoes on.