|Episode No.:||33a, Special|
|Previous Episode:||The Smoking Peanut|
|Next Episode:||Gary Takes a Bath|
"Shanghaied" is an episode from Season 2
Time Cards ShownEdit
- A Few Inches Later
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Flying Dutchman
- Squidward Tentacles
- Bikini Bottom Citizens
- Tough Guy
- Potty the Parrot
- Patchy the Pirate
- Patchy The Pirate's House
- Squidward's House
- SpongeBob's House
- The Flying Dutchman's Ship
- The Fly of Despair
- The Perfume Department
It is an average day in Bikini Bottom, until a giant anchor demolishes SpongeBob SquarePants' pineapple house and Squidward Tentacles' Easter Island head. Squidward climbs the rope, ready to complain. SpongeBob goes too, as does Patrick. They find out that the ship belongs to the Flying Dutchman, and they are forced to be part of his crew forever. Squidward is sent to "The Fly of Despair" (A huge zipper that is gateway to a nightmarish abstract dimension) for his sarcastic remarks, while SpongeBob and Patrick have to help the Flying Dutchman scare people. They cannot do it and Patrick's poor steering also causes extensive damage to the Dutchman's ship and he ultimately decides to eat them. They're locked in their room, and the Flying Dutchman decides to eat them. So they escape through the perfume department. They take the Flying Dutchman's dining sock because he can't eat without wearing it. SpongeBob and the Flying Dutchman fight for the sock, tug 'o war style, but when it is about to reach its elastic limit, the Flying Dutchman decides to grant them three wishes. The episode ends with Sponge, Pat and Squid turned into fruit and the vegetarian Dutchman chasing them around his ship, which the ship was turned into a hippie van.
- After "Scaredy Pants" and possibly "The Great Snail Race"
- Before "House Fancy", Sleepy Time, "Shuffleboarding", "Bossy Boots", and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
- This episode was banned in the UK. 7 years later on October 31, 2008 this episode was aired in the UK along with episode Gary Takes a Bath.
- Patrick: "I wish we had known that earlier!"
- SpongeBob: "I wish Squidward were here to see this!"
- SpongeBob: "I wish the Dutchman was a vegetarian!"
- The episode's name originates from the Chinese city, Shanghai, a common destination of ships with abducted crews in the 1800s.
- This episode was originally titled "You Wish", but was changed to "Shanghaied". On the Season 2 DVD box set, instead of saying Shanghaied, it said, You Wish/Shanghaied.
- This was the first ever SpongeBob special to be shorter than a double length (22 minutes), but longer than a regular episode (5-11 minutes), at a length of 16 minutes. It was paired with the episode Gary Takes a Bath.
- Without the Patchy the Pirate parts, this episode is about 13 minutes, but is still considered a double-length.
- This episode aired on March 7, 2001, then it was released on the third SpongeBob SquarePants DVD volume, Sea Stories, which was also the fourth SpongeBob SquarePants VHS volume, which only featured Patchy the Pirate in VHS copies of the volume, and re-aired as a Patchy the Pirate special in 2003. This could be the third direct-to-video episode.
- There are three alternate endings to this episode. The main ending is where SpongeBob wishes that the Dutchman was a vegetarian with the result that they are turned into fruit. The other endings include Patrick wishing for eternal minty fresh gum, and Squidward wishing that he never knew SpongeBob and Patrick which causes him to make their acquaintance all over again. The SpongeBob ending is the main ending, but on the Sea Stories DVD it shows all 3 endings.
- The Flying Dutchman's "dining sock" was first seen and mentioned in "Your Shoe's Untied."
- The scene where the Flying Dutchman's head turns all the way around could be a reference to the film The Exorcist.
- Squidward warns SpongeBob that we're about to get eaten and asks what can you wish for so we do not get eaten. Squidward was not around when the others found out they'd be eaten, so how does Squidward know he is going to be eaten at all?
- In this episode we learn the Dutchman has a perfume department on his ship.
- On April 15, 2013 in Australia, this episode was somehow paired with "The Donut of Shame"
- Another airing goof: On May 11, 2012 on the Canadian YTV, the original version accidentally paired with "Reef Blower".
- Yet another airing goof: In Bahasa Indonesia, when this episode was aired on October 29, 2009, Squidward falling into the Pit of Despair was accidentally looped seven times.