"Rock Bottom" is an episode from Season 1.
- Bus Driver
- Rock Bottom bus manager
- Guy sleeping on bus
- Grandpa SquarePants (acted by SpongeBob)
- Rock Bottomites
SpongeBob and Patrick board a bus to get home from Glove World, a glove-themed amusement park, they have apparently gotten on the wrong one and head off a large cliff. The cliff leads to a sort of aphotic zone called Rock Bottom, inhabited by anglerfish-like creatures. Patrick gets on a bus home but accidentally leaves SpongeBob behind. After several unsuccessful attempts to get on the bus, he heads to the bus station and gets in a very long line. By the time he gets to the front, he finds out that the last bus to leave for the night is already gone, and he's stuck there until morning. He gets scared by a raspberry sound coming from nowhere, and he dashes back to the cliff. The raspberry sound's maker reveals himself to be a friendly-looking anglerfish creature, which has SpongeBob's balloon from Glove World. The creature blows up the balloon, ties it to SpongeBob's wrist, and allows him to float up the cliff and back to Bikini Bottom. Unfortunately, Patrick thinks SpongeBob is still in Rock Bottom and goes back; causing bad luck for Patrick!
- When SpongeBob looks at the vending machine, it is facing him. But when he is choosing the candy he wants, it is facing the opposite side of the road that is at a 90 degree angle.
- As the bus carrying SpongeBob and Patrick descends down the cliff face, the dramatic incidental music is from the song "Whirlpool", performed by the Detroit, Michigan surf band, The Volcanoes.
- When SpongeBob asked Patrick if he had 50 cents, Patrick said "Nope" (he does not even have that much money). Regular closed captions excluded Patrick's line, and it is a little hard to hear it.
- When SpongeBob is yelling at the man at the bus station, a sign that reads "Information" can be seen above the window. But, when the lights shut off, the sign disappears.
- In the bus, SpongeBob has no money, but in the Kandy Machine scenes, SpongeBob does have money to buy candy.
- This is the first of two episodes SpongeBob’s grandfather has been mentioned. The other is The Sponge Who Could Fly.
- This episode is similar to Stephen King's short story Crouch End.
- During one scene where SpongeBob tries to catch a bus by putting a cardboard SpongeBob next to the Kandy Machine, SpongeBob's body is very sharp, straight, and not wavy as he usually is.
- When SpongeBob is getting his Kelp Bar from the machine, when he chases the bus, he goes right through it.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick try to go to the bathroom, they cannot tell the bathroom's apart. The bathroom on the right is the men's bathroom and the bathroom on the left is the women's bathroom.
- The person that worked at the bus station is the same person who came out of the men's bathroom and stole SpongeBob's Kelp Bar.
- This is the first episode pair to not feature Squidward.