"Ripped Pants" is the fourth episode from Season 1.
- Larry the Lobster (debut)
- Snack Bar Customers (Harold)
- Snack Bar Cook
- Perch Perkins (debut)
- Other Bikini Bottomites
- Goo Lagoon (debut)
The Narrator introduces Goo Lagoon, a popular beach in Bikini Bottom. While at the beach, SpongeBob and Sandy are sitting down in beach chairs. SpongeBob puts on a show by making sand sculptures, which makes Sandy laugh. Larry the Lobster comes and asks if they want to lift weights. Sandy accepts quickly, while SpongeBob mopes behind them. When they arrive at the weight lifting area, Sandy lifts a bar weight and the crowd cheers. SpongeBob tries to get them to do something else, but Larry continues. He lifts a bar weight with six weights and the crowd cheers. Attempting to impress the crowd, SpongeBob lifts a stick but the crowd is bored. Sandy then lifts two anchors and is cheered. Larry then lifts the entire audience and bleachers, and once again the crowd cheers. A left out SpongeBob tries to get more attention by lifting marshmallows he borrowed from a fish who was roasting them. However, he accidentally rips his pants in the process, and the crowd laughs hysterically. Feeling embarrassed, SpongeBob sadly leaves the weight lifting area. Beachers continue to laugh at him and Scooter compliments him for the good laugh. When Sandy agrees, SpongeBob decides to use this as an advantage. He goes onto ripping his pants while playing volleyball, then while playing frisbee. SpongeBob and Sandy then proceed to get some ice cream in which he uses his ripped pants joke to gain attention. He gets carried away and uses the joke at the snack bar and a kitchen.
While at the surfing competition, SpongeBob rips his pants while surfing, which bores everyone. Realizing this, SpongeBob pretends to drown. When he washes up on the beach, a crowd gathers around him. He tells the lifeguard that he needs a tailor--because he ripped his pants. Everyone gets upset, including Sandy. He attempts to revive the joke by ripping his entire pants off, but it is unsuccessful. After he realizes that he has driven all his friends away, he asks himself if he is the biggest loser on the beach. This question is answered by three other beachers, who each believe they are the biggest losers on the beach. Evelyn, who forgot to put on sunscreen, a turtle, who got sand in burger buns, and a whale who was buried in the sand and forgotten. They ask SpongeBob what happened to him, and he tells his story through a song. The waves during the lines "Now I learned a lesson I won't soon forget, So listen and you won't regret" were identical to the one in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie credits, SpongeBob's song gains popularity; everyone on the beach sees this, and understands how he feels and that he apologizes. Sandy tells SpongeBob that if he wanted her to be his friend, he should have been himself. Larry asks for an autograph on his pants and SpongeBob accepts. He bends down to sign, and his underwear rips off completely. SpongeBob is now naked and blushes in embarrassment.
- This is the first appearance of Larry Lobster and also the first appearance Doug Lawrence voiced in.
- In every scene after SpongeBob rip his pants, he always manages to buy a new pair.
- There is a SpongeBob SquarePants toy to tie in with this episode that is marketed by Fisher-Price that really does rip his pants.
- This is the first time SpongeBob is in the nude.
- There is an episode of Higglytown Heroes called "Wayne's Ripping Adventure" where Wayne rips his pants just like SpongeBob does.
- The Ripped Pants song sounds like the intro of "Be True To Your School" by the Beach Boys, which makes it a possible parody of them.
- In the scene where SpongeBob pretends to drown, he has no sleeves for a brief shot, but they reappear after he looks at Sandy playing volleyball with Larry.
- This is the first time SpongeBob impersonates Squidward.
- First two episode pair not to have Mr Krabs or Gary.
- Patrick is mysteriously absent from this episode.
- It the first time where Patrick and Squidward do not appear in a segment.
- Many Cameo Characters make their 1st appearance in this episode, including the famous Tom.
- Unless SpongeBob brought extra clothes, how is he getting each rip fixed?
- When SpongeBob pretends to be a pizza deliverer, SpongeBob is actually holding 9 boxes of "pizza" instead of 20 boxes.
- This is the first episode where Squidward's house and Patrick's rock aren't seen.