|Previous Episode:||Welcome to the Chum Bucket|
|Next Episode:||The Secret Box|
"Frankendoodle" is an episode from Season 2.
At sea, an artist is drawing a sketch, when he accidentally drops his pencil into the sea. The rule of the artist at sea number 1: Always bring a spare pencil. SpongeBob and Patrick are playing 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' using bubbles, when the pencil shoots down like a missile and slams on the ground, making a small crater. SpongeBob draws a jellyfish, then it comes alive. They realize that it's a magic pencil, and wreak havoc on poor Squidward. SpongeBob then draws DoodleBob, a sketch version of himself. DoodleBob wreaks havoc (he steals the magic pencil) until SpongeBob erases him (the eraser end of the pencil is capable of erasing anything, not just drawings). However, the arm is still there, and in the night, it steals the pencil and draws itself. The pencil is snapped in half (DoodleBob has the eraser and SpongeBob has the pencil), then SpongeBob presumes that they both have equal power. DoodleBob sharpens his half, so he has an eraser and a pencil. He is finally trapped inside a book (he sticks to paper), and the page is framed on a wall. The pencil is propelled back to the artist. He grabs it and continues drawing, but the lead snaps. The rule of the artist at sea number 2: Always bring a pencil sharpener.
- After the dollar joke, SpongeBob and Patrick were bouncing and stopped in midair, but then they were on the ground.
- This episode could be considered a look at the relationship between the artist and his creations, more further explored in The Singing Detective and The Tempest. The creation, DoodleBob, has become self-aware, and wishes to usurp the artist, SpongeBob, who did not understand all of DoodleBob's dimensional being. In the end, the artist has total control of his creation, as is with many stories, with SpongeBob trapping his art in a piece of paper.
- The actor who plays the artist is Doug Lawrence, who also provides the voice for Plankton and Larry the Lobster and other characters on the show and has co-written many SpongeBob episodes as well (as Mr. Lawrence).
- The title is a spoof on both Frankenstein and Doodle.
- When SpongeBob breaks the pencil, the pencil gets chopped in half, but after DoodleBob pointed SpongeBob with it, after SpongeBob accidentally threw his half, the pencil was in its regular length.
- Patrick suffers four concussions in this episode (all in the span of just over a minute), all at DoodleBob's hands.
- DoodleBob speaks his own language similar to the caveman talk used by SpongeGar, Patar, and Squog, in the episode Ugh!
- The person who voiced DoodleBob is Dee Bradley Baker, one of the many people who do additional voices on the show.
- At first, SpongeBob calls his creation "DoodleBoy" but later calls him DoodleBob, probably a reference to SpongeBob's original name.
- Pencils cannot sink to the bottom of the sea, because they are buoyant.
- DoodleBob also appeared in Nicktoons Unite.
- This episode is the second time that Patrick mocks SpongeBob's clothes, the first time being in I'm with Stupid
- At the start of the episode, the artist is seen making many strokes on the canvas. But when he gets the pencil back at the end of the episode, the canvas is blank(It is possible that he changed canvas sheets).
- When the scream got closer, DoodleBob's eyes had been outlined.
- The three pictures and Doodlebob do not appear in any other episode.
- How can you bend a pencil if it's made of wood and you can't bend wood?
- How can a hand move by itself without a body?
- DoodleBob was on top of the rock were Mrs. Puff is from No Free Rides.
- When SpongeBob and/or DoodleBob draw something and it comes to life is referenced to the fact that it's a cartoon. (They are drawings and they're on paper, which means that whatever they draw will be real.)
- The game Drawn to Life: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition is based of this episode.
- How can Squidward say only say Spongebob's name if Patrick is seen along with him?
- When SpongeBob said "High school", that means he's a adult, along with Patrick.
- In this episode, Patrick implies that he knows he is a cartoon, because he says he is going to draw a cartoon and then he draws Squidward. This also breaks the fourth wall, which is common in the series.
- This is the first time there is a mustache that flies away, the next being The Slumber Party.
- When SpongeBob says "Paper!",his lips don't move.
- If you look closely,when DoodleBob erases SpongeBob's pants,his hindquarters are seen on his butt.On Nature Pants,Ripped Pants,and Hooky,no hindquarters are seen on his butt.
- When DoodleBob's hand is shown,he has 4 fingers.When he draws himself,he has 3 fingers again.