|Dying for Pie|
|Previous Episode:||Bubble Buddy|
|Next Episode:||Imitation Krabs|
"Dying for Pie" is an episode from Season 2.
At the Krusty Krab, it's 'Employee Brotherhood day'. Squidward does not know this. On 'Employee Brotherhood day', all employees must exchange gifts (they have to make the gifts themselves), and SpongeBob gives Squidward a sweater made out of his eyelashes. When Squidward scoffs at his heartfelt gift, SpongeBob begins to cry copiously, eventually handing Squidward a sweater made from his tears.
Squidward wishes he could buy a gift instead of make one, and see a group of pirates outside with a sack of pies. He goes outside and his crew says that they are bombs, but after Squidward offers to buy one, the pirate says they were kidding, and Squidward buys a pie for $25. He lies to Mr. Krabs, saying that he made it. Mr. Krabs inspects it, and says he has to eat a bit to see it was not horrible. He breaks a tiny bit off the crust and says, "This would go great with some milk!" As he gets the milk, he trips over and the bit of the pie explodes and wrecks the back of the Krusty Krab. Squidward and Mr. Krabs are blown far away. When they arrive at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob acts as if he ate the pie, even though he actually ate a different one. Mr. Krabs tells Squidward that the pie would explode when it reached SpongeBob's lower intestine (which is around sunset), so Squidward decides to make SpongeBob's remaining hours fun. SpongeBob presents a list of the funniest things he could do, after being asked. SpongeBob's Friendship list:
- Show my best friend Squidward to everybody in town
- Show my best friend Squidward to everybody in town wearing a salmon suit (That is Squidward wearing the salmon suit)
- Knock-knock jokes
- Babble like an idiot
- Trade faces
- Open-Heart surgery
- Dismemberment (not seen, mentioned by Squidward)
- Watch the sunset with Squidward
Upon hearing this, Squidward remembers that SpongeBob will explode at sunset. Therefore, he builds a brick wall between them. At sunset, there is an explosion, but it is actually a bubble that SpongeBob blew (It's in the shape of a bomb and explodes). There is another explosion, which knocks the wall down, crushing Squidward. Squidward comes out and finds that SpongeBob is still alive. He says he's supposed to explode. SpongeBob tries very hard and finally yells, "GARY! YOU ARE GOING TO FINISH YOUR DESSERT, AND YOU ARE GONNA LIKE IT!” Squidward tells him that he means SpongeBob is supposed to blow up into a million pieces, and Squidward tells him about the pie. SpongeBob does not seem to remember, then says 'Oh, this pie!" He takes the explosive pie out of his pocket and says that he was saving it for them to share. He trips over, and the pie/bomb hits Squidward in the face and goes off, demolishing all of Bikini Bottom. The (extremely huge) explosion here portrayed by actual live action footage of the nuclear test Operation Crossroads, seen above the sea. Squidward gets the full force of the explosion, and manages to utter out, "Ow."
- Dee Bradley Baker guest voices as the pirate captain.
- In the scene where the hole created by the bomb going off is seen, we see some of the metal wall curls inwards, whereas it should curl outwards, because of the direction of the blast energy.
- The video of the explosion was seen on Nat Geo Investigation.
- When Squidward asks what the coat is made of, SpongeBob replies, "Eyelashes!" However, in the comic version of this episode (from "Who's Hungry?") he replies, "Eyelashes and eyebrows!" A similar mistake was made when Squidward asks what flavor the pie is. In the episode, the pirates say, "Apple!" "Cherry!" "Raspberry!", but in the comic, they say, "Apple!" "Cherry!" "Boysenberry!"
- When SpongeBob trips and lets the pie hit Squidward's face, the explosion takes place at the center of Bikini Bottom rather than on the hill, they were on.
- This episode is the first SpongeBob episode to allow blood to be seen. The second is in Karate Island, and third in Born To Be Wild,though in born to be wild it is most likely just juice they call blood.
- In the Friend or Foe? marathon, this episode aired with Krab Borg.
- It is unkown how Squidward and citizens of Bikini Bottom recovered from the pie explosion.
- This is parody from the Simpsons' episode: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, and Bluefish.
- When Squidward and Mr. Krabs walk to the door to look at SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs' eyelashes vanish. When we see SpongeBob cleaning the table with them watching, they return.
- Why did the pie not explode when Squidward drops it on Mr. Krabs' desk?
- The rock wasn't there when SpongeBob took the pie out.
- On SpongeBob's checklist, he finishes everything, but then he checks off the first two things again.
- This is the first time it shows the BAKER test underwater explosion. The second time was in The Krusty Plate.
- This is one of the two episodes where the title card does not show on the YTV airings, the other episode is Squirrel Jokes.
- After Squidward scolds Mr. Krabs for making Employee Brotherhood Day, when he says "...that guy!", Mr. Krabs is seen clearly with no legs. This is most likely an animation error.