|Back to the Past|
|Airdate:||February 15, 2010|
|Prevous Episode:||SpongeBob's Last Stand|
|Next Episode:||The Bad Guy Club for Villains|
"Back to the Past" is an episode from Season 7.
- Mermaid Man
- Barnacle Boy
- Man Ray
- Squilliam (minor role)
- Dirty Bubble (cameo)
- Retro Mermaid Man
- Retro Barnacle Boy
- Many alternate SpongeBobs, Patricks, Mermaid Mans, Barnacle Boys, and Man Rays
SpongeBob and Patrick help Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy by pushing the invisible boat mobile to the Mermalair. Barnacle Boy invites them in the Mermalair which is full of memorials from their TV show. Barnacle Boy shows SpongeBob and Patrick a time machine that they have never used and warns them not to touch it. Unfortunately Patrick mistakes the time machine for a vending machine and activates it. Everyone is teleported to a time period where Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are young. At that period Man Ray was tormenting Bikini Bottom. Young Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy try to stop him by trapping him in tartar sauce but they are unsuccessful because Patrick ate the tartar sauce. SpongeBob and Patrick use the time machine to go back to the normal bikini bottom but they leave old Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy behind. As they reach normal Bikini Bottom they find out that it's not called Bikini Bottom anymore but Man-Rayopolis. SpongeBob and Patrick visit the Krusty Krab which is now nameless and find young Mermaid man as a fry cook and Barnacle Boy as the cashier. SpongeBob and Patrick realized that they have changed the future and they must now return to the past in order to fix it.
- The title is a parody of the "Back to the Future" trilogy of movies.
- Adam West and Burt Ward play the original Mermaidman and Barnacleboy. This is a homage to the 1960s Batman series, where West and Ward were Batman and Robin. The MM & BB series is a parody of the 1960s Batman series.
- In this episode, it marks the first time Barnacleboy ever addresses Patrick by his name because usually he will call him SpongeBob's "Goofy Friend".
- This was a 15-minute episode like Shanghaied.
- The title card looks similar to Patty Caper.
- In New Zealand, it was advertised as a special as "Out of Time".
- SpongeBob says that the population is at least 39, but in What Ever Happened To SpongeBob it is actually 538 people.
- SpongeBob and Patrick travel in time a total of 4 times.